|at Legal Aid Ontario|
|Date Posted||October 26, 2017|
Legal Aid Ontario employees are committed to making a difference in the lives of our clients.
As an integral partner in the Justice system, working at Legal Aid Ontario is more than just a job. It’s an opportunity to help people who need it the most; to ensure each client receives the access to justice afforded to them under the law.
If you are looking for a new challenge in your already meaningful career with a team dedicated to justice, and innovation in a flexible and supportive work environment consider this opportunity below.
We’re looking for a talented Graphic Designer to guide our audiences through concepts, news and information, and processes—online and in print. The ideal candidate will have both copywriting and design talents, and know when and how to apply these skills.
Working collaboratively with a diverse team, you are an advocate for your audiences, helping to identify the most efficient and effective ways of communicating with them.
You will twist, blend and reconfigure information, introduce visual hierarchy, and produce final designs that can be absorbed easily by the intended audience of each target medium.
Our audiences are diverse and include clients who often have only basic language skills; are information seekers in crisis; are legal service providers, including lawyers in overcrowded courts; and other specialists at various client checkpoints throughout the justice system, as well as the social justice sector.
• Coordinate aspects of production, including preparing and reviewing/editing/proofing final designs in all languages, scaling images for print and ensuring timelines are met
• Organizes copy flow and create/maintains an archival and retrieval system of all published material
• Liaise with internal clients to determine requirements
• Obtain input from internal clients to create concepts
• Plan concepts by studying information and materials
• Work with internal clients to advise on best design execution to reach a particular audience
• Prepare rough drafts of materials based on agreed creative briefs
• Create visual aspects of promotional materials, websites and other media products
• Develop a style guide and standard templates for the organization
• May coordinate relationship with vendors, preparing specification and obtaining estimates for final approval
• Perform other duties as required
Required skills & experience
• A minimum of three years’ experience, including any education or training.
• Demonstrated design foundation—though not necessarily formal design education—including an understanding of the importance of design systems, structure and semantics, and the fluidity of these from medium to medium, day to day
• Must have a talent for visually organizing information for ease of understanding.
• Demonstrated talent for information design of written source material (not necessarily in the infographic sense)
• Demonstrated experience working in other languages, particularly in French
• Diplomacy: with demonstrated ability to guide the team members towards the best design solutions
• Excellent communication skills to present and explain ideas to internal clients and other team members
• A keen eye for visual design
• Illustration skill, freehand and vector
• Front end coding (HTML, CSS) knowledge
• Content management system experience
• Superior skill with Adobe products
• Social/non-traditional media experience
• Demonstrated understanding of accessibility requirements, particularly WCAG 2.0 and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
• Ability to work on several projects simultaneously
• French language skills an asset
This position is unionized and represented by OPSEU.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set up their Candidate Profile if applying on Njoyn. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly. The deadline to apply is November 15th, 2017. Please visit the careers page on our website at www.lao.on.ca to apply.
Legal Aid Ontario values integrity, respect, responsiveness, excellence, independence, accountability, openness and consistency. Our recruitment process reflects our commitment to diversity and inclusion. Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.