|at Cuso International|
|Location||Across Canada, Canada|
|Date Posted||February 21, 2018|
Cuso International is a non-profit international development organization, working to improve the lives of people living with poverty and inequality around the globe. Each year we mobilize hundreds of volunteer professionals who work with local partners to create positive, lasting change. Established in 1961, Cuso International is a registered charity in Canada and the United States.
Creative Services / Graphic Design Advisor
Location of Placement: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Start Date May – Jul 2018 (flexible)
Length of Placement 12 Months
Language Requirements English
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada onlyThe Volunteer’s Role
The purpose of the placement is to support selected Small and Medium Enterprises in developing and/or improving a brand that will stand out in the market.
Tanzania’s economy has grown steadily over the past decade, yet this has not translated into significant benefits for the average Tanzanian. The economy is expected to keep growing and bring additional Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in the extractives and agribusiness sectors. While a demand remains for suppliers to support export operations, their current products and services do not meet the requirements and standards of international firms nor have they been able to capitalize on associated markets created by supply chains. The Tanzania Local Enterprise Development (T-LED) project supports local small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) in Iringa, Mwanza, Shinyanga, Lindi and Mtwara to overcome existing barriers, with particular attention paid to the additional challenges faced by female-headed SMEs, in accessing growth markets supply chains in the extractive and agribusinesses sectors, while enhancing the quality and coordination of market-driven business development services.
The Packaging and Labelling Advisor will work as part of the T-LED team, which aims to increase the benefit to local SMEs in Tanzania of investment in agriculture & the extractives industries.
The advisor will work directly with SMEs to coach and mentor local companies in agriculture & the extractives supply chains, developing their capacity to be considered as a supplier. To achieve this, SMEs will need to have the right technical skills, know-how and equipment to meet the market needs in terms of packaging and labelling.
She/He will also coach relevant Small Industries Development Organization (SIDO), Tanzania Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Agriculture (TCCIA) and Tanzania Women Chamber of Commerce (TWCC) staff in providing technical know-how to small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) on packaging and labelling to improve the quality of training provided.
Ultimately the role will contribute to local companies accessing new markets and employing more people and therefore ensure a greater proportion of foreign investment benefits local people.
As a volunteer, you will:
– Strengthen capacity of SMEs regarding improved packaging and labelling; develop concepts, graphics, layouts for product illustrations, company logos, product packaging and websites
– Support entrepreneurs in identifying packaging solutions that meet the requirements of buyers and customers (local as well as international ones); make recommendations/report to creative services coordinator & Head of T-Led project
– Help grow enterprises by understanding the packaging needs that best represents the product, brand, and company (culturally and technically appropriate for region and/or communities and market demand)
– Support target SMEs to achieve standards required by buyers in terms of appropriate and marketable packaging and labelling, design logos and labels for SMEs
– Coach and mentor SIDO, TCCIA and TWCC staff to improve training provided to SMEs on packaging and labelling; develop tools and training materials with SIDO, TCCIA and TWCC staff that can be used in their trainings to SMEs
Essential Academic Qualifications:
– A bachelor degree or diploma in graphic design or Marketing and/or relevant customer service qualifications
Essential Professional Background:
– Two years’ experience in graphic design, Marketing and/or relevant customer service experience for the post
– Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
– Accommodation while in placement
– Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
– Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
– Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
– Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
– Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
– Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
– Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
– Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
– Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months