|at Government of Ontario|
|Date Posted||May 16, 2017|
People are what matter most. Our mission is to make government services simpler, faster and better for people in the internet age. For us, it’s all about having courage inside government so that we have a meaningful impact outside government.
We truly believe that – if we work hard, work smart and work together – we can change government for the better.
We need people who can deliver quick, creative digital solutions to complex, interesting problems.
What you’ll be doing
Ontario Digital Service is improving the online experience for citizens by reinventing the most important government services for the digital age. As a User Experience Designer, you will help visualize and design the Government of Ontario’s flagship website, Ontario.ca, to ensure content and features are simple, user-friendly, and accessible to everyone, everywhere.
You will apply your visual design skills to deliver elegant, accessible and user-focused web interfaces, templates, and graphical elements.
You will evolve our interface design standards, guidelines, and templates by producing UI elements, graphics, type and colour palettes.
You will help more Ontarians understand government information through effective visual elements, such as infographics and iconography.
You will apply evidence-based, agile approaches such as user analytics, interviews, research and testing to continuously improve design choices.
What you bring to the team
You think digital by default and embrace new ideas that put users first to find the best solutions.
You are passionate about visual design and believe that creating compelling, beautiful experiences for our users is essential to any web product.
You believe diversity and inclusion help create the best conditions for people to achieve the best results, knowing the best ideas come from everywhere and everyone.
Requirements of the job:
- You have significant experience designing online user experiences for complex web content and applications
- You are proficient with design tools like Photoshop, Illustrator and Sketch to design interfaces, responsive layouts, icons, graphics, and infographics
- You have experience in applying content layout and typography design principles and techniques for the responsive web
- You are comfortable producing wireframes and prototypes, using tools like Balsamiq, InVision, etc.
- You are familiar with how to design information architectures and taxonomies, and how they relate to navigational design elements
- You are creative and innovative by nature and can think outside the box to visualize simple solutions that meet user needs
Standards and best practices
- You likely have formal design training, or have acquired a strong knowledge of visual arts through your work experience
- You have knowledge of the current web usability and accessibility standards and best practices (WCAG 2.0, the A11Y Project, etc.) and have applied them to your work
- You thrive on feedback and are comfortable transforming ideas generated through user research and analysis to create elegant, effective designs for diverse audiences
- You have strong communication, interpersonal and collaboration skills to work seamlessly in a multi-disciplinary team, with clients and leadership
Why join the team?
Join us and help make government work better for citizens by delivering simple and straightforward digital services and products. We provide employees with constructive feedback to foster their career growth, and opportunities to collaborate with talented people.
You’ll work alongside highly experienced designers, front and back-end developers, analysts, project managers and directors who love what they do.
Work with world-class tech stacks: HTML5, CSS3, Foundation/SaSS, AngularJS, Node.js, PHP, Drupal, AWS Cloud.
Work Life Balance
Make an impact in the life of others and have one yourself.
Why choose the Ontario Government?
● work that makes an impact on society
● learning and development opportunities
● open and inclusive work environment
● flexible work arrangements
● health and dental benefits
● pension plan
● generous vacation
- Job Title: User Experience Designer (UX Specialist) – Job ID: 108071
- Area of Government: Ontario Digital Service
- Location: Toronto, Ontario
- Salary: up to $90,446 per year, depending on experience
- Job Term: 1 Temporary for 12 months with an option to extend
- Hours of Work: 36.25/week (Schedule 6)
- Job Code: AIF19 – (non-union)
How to apply:
If you’re interested, skip the cover letter and just send us an email including the following:
- your resume
- link to your online profile/portfolio –we want to see your best work!
- where you saw our job ad
- why this is your dream job
Submit your application by email to DigitalJobs3@ontario.ca – put “Hire me” in the subject line.
We’re accepting submissions until May 31, 2017 at 11:59pm.
Please do not include shortened URLs, because your email will not reach us (e.g. https://goo.gl/8lvNl6).
Inclusion and accessibility:
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please let us know via email at DigitalJobs3@ontario.ca
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee’s exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.